TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT TO DISTRICT 1, POST 2 COUNCILMEMBER SEAT
The City of Thomasville is now accepting applications to fill the temporary vacancy that exists on the Thomasville City Council. The vacancy was created after Governor Brian Kemp issued an order on March 25, 2019, suspending Mayor Greg Hobbs from office. The temporary appointment will last until the case against Mayor Hobbs is finally disposed of or until Mayor Hobbs’ term of office ends, whichever comes first.
The information below will answer some common questions related to the temporary vacancy and the process of filling the temporary appointment:
I’m interested in serving as the temporary Councilmember for District 1, Post 2. How do I apply to be considered?
Qualified applicants can apply to fill the Councilmember seat on an interim basis by completing the Application for Temporary Appointment. Application forms can be picked up from the City Clerk’s Office located at 111 Victoria Place or printed from the website here.
What are the qualifications for this temporary appointment?
The criteria for appointment are as follows:
- Citizen of the United States
- Resident of Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia
- Current and Continuous Resident in District 1 since August 21, 2017. You can access a map of the Council Districts here. Note: This map is not supported by Internet Explorer browsers.
- Elector of the City of Thomasville and eligible to vote in municipal elections for the Thomasville City Council
- Never convicted or sentenced in any court of competent jurisdiction under the laws of Georgia, any other State or the United States for:
- Fraudulent violation of primary or election laws
- Malfeasance in office
- Felony involving moral turpitude
- Conviction of domestic violence
- If so convicted for any of the above, then the applicant’s civil rights have been restored and at least ten (10) years have elapsed from the completion of the sentence without a subsequent conviction of another felony involving moral turpitude
- Not a defaulter for any federal, state, county, municipal, or school system taxes required of the applicant
If I lived in District 1 on August 17, 2017, but have since moved to District 2, can I still apply to fill the temporary seat?
No. You can access a map of the Council Districts here. This map is not supported by Internet Explorer browsers.
If I have questions about the application process, whom should I contact?
If you have questions as to the process for applying to serve in this seat, you may contact the Office of the City Clerk located at 111 Victoria Place by calling 229-227-7000.
Where do I file my application?
Applications can be submitted via the following:
- Hand delivered to the City Clerk’s Office located at 111 Victoria Place
- Postal mail to City Clerk’s Office, P O Box 1540, Thomasville GA 31799
When is the application due?
The application deadline is Friday, April, 26, 2019, at 5 p.m. Items sent via postal mail that are received by the City after 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2019, will be deemed a late submission and will not be considered.
After the deadline, a list of all applicants meeting the qualification criteria will be compiled and provided to the City Council.
When will the City Council make the appointment?
The City Council will make the appointment to the temporary District 1, Post 2 Councilmember at its regular meeting beginning at 6:00 p.m., on Monday, May 13, 2019, held at the Municipal Building, 144 E Jackson St.
How long will the temporary appointment last?
The selected candidate will serve either until the case brought against Mayor Hobbs is finally disposed of or until Mayor Hobbs’ term of office ends, whichever comes first.