The City of Thomasville is now accepting applications to fill the temporary vacancy that exists on the Thomasville City Council. The vacancy was created after Governor Brian Kemp issued an order on March 25, 2019, suspending Mayor Greg Hobbs from office. The temporary appointment will last until the case against Mayor Hobbs is finally disposed of or until Mayor Hobbs’ term of office ends, whichever comes first.
Applications are available now on the City’s website, Thomasville.org/City-Council-Vacancy or may be picked up from the City Clerk’s Office, located at 111 Victoria Place. Applicants must be a current and continuous resident in District 1 since August 21, 2017. Other criteria for appointment include:
- Citizen of the United States
- Resident of Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia
- Elector of the City of Thomasville and eligible to vote in municipal elections for the Thomasville City Council
- Never convicted or sentenced in any court of competent jurisdiction under the laws of Georgia, any other State or the United States for:
- Fraudulent violation of primary or election laws
- Malfeasance in office
- Felony involving moral turpitude
- Conviction of domestic violence
- If so convicted for any of the above, then the applicant’s civil rights have been restored and at least ten (10) years have elapsed from the completion of the sentence without a subsequent conviction of another felony involving moral turpitude
- Not a defaulter for any federal, state, county, municipal, or school system taxes required of the applicant
The application deadline is Friday, April, 26, 2019, at 5 p.m. Applications can be submitted in person to the City Clerk, located at 111 Victoria Place. Applications may also be mailed to the City Clerk’s Office, P.O. Box 1540, Thomasville, GA 31799. Items sent via postal mail that are received by the City after 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2019, will be deemed a late submission and will not be considered.
After the deadline, a list of all applicants meeting the qualification criteria will be compiled and provided to the City Council. The City Council will make the appointment to the temporary District 1, Post 2 Councilmember at its regular meeting beginning at 6:00 p.m., on Monday, May 13, 2019, held at the Municipal Building, 144 E Jackson Street.