Establish Utilities

To apply for new utility service or transfer existing service, please complete our Residential Utilities Application or Commercial Utilities Application. You can also call us at (229) 227-7001 or stop by our offices at 111 Victoria Place.

The following information is needed to apply for service:

Residential Customers:

  • Lease agreement or proof of ownership
  • Photo I.D.
  • Social Security card
  • A deposit may also be required based on credit through a soft credit inquiry.

Commercial Customers:

  • Lease agreement or proof of ownership
  • W-9 or social security card
  • Photo I.D.
  • A deposit equal to twice the estimated monthly bill during the period of greatest usage may also be required.
  • A Certificate of Occupancy is required for locations within the city limits.

To find out if there is natural gas, water, or wastewater service in your area, please call (229) 227-7009 and ask to speak with the Engineering staff. You can also click here and enter an address to find out if services are available. If you would like to streamline the process, please have your Assessor's Parcel Number available. This number can be found on your annual tax bill. If you don't have a tax bill available, we can locate the property if you provide us with the street address and the owner's name. If water is available, a water tap will need to be installed to connect your location to the water system. The Engineering staff can assist you in determining the cost of the new tap and can provide information as to establishing your water service account.