City of Thomasville Cemeteries

Denise Reichert
Cemetery Administrator

751 Remington Ave
P.O. Box 1540
Thomasville, GA 31799
Office: (229) 227-4195
Fax: (229) 227-4047

Historic Cemetery Information:

Office Hours:
9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Cemetery Hours:
7:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m.

The City of Thomasville owns and maintains five cemeteries, three of which remain active; however, only two cemeteries have available grave spaces and lots for sale. The City of Thomasville maintains the grounds within all five cemeteries, including but not limited to mowing, weed eating, pruning, trash removal and fire ant control. Utilizing burial records which date back to mid 1800s, staff members are also available, upon request, to assist with the location of existing grave spaces within the cemeteries.

Two historic cemeteries can be found less than a mile from the heart of downtown Thomasville. The first, the old Magnolia Cemetery, known affectionately as the Flipper Cemetery, is the final resting place of Thomasville native Lt. Henry O. Flipper, the first African American graduate of West Point Academy. The second is simply called the Old Cemetery and is the oldest burial ground in Thomas County. Some of Thomas County’s first founders and oldest families are buried here along with 38 Confederate Veterans. Surrounded by the original oak, magnolia and cedar trees, these cemeteries offer a tranquil look into the lives of the people who gave our city character and definition.

City staff members meet and work with families to make the purchase of grave spaces as easy as possible. For information about purchasing individual spaces or lots (four spaces), please contact Denise Reichert, Cemetery Administrator.

To view the city ordinance for cemeteries, click here.