City of Thomasville Utility crews will begin work along West Jackson Street beginning Saturday, August 31st at 5:00 am. Crews will be working on the mid-block crossings in the 200 block of West Jackson Street between Stevens Street and Madison Street. The anticipated completion date for the project is Monday, September 2nd.
The West Jackson Streetscape project is now in its fourth month of construction, and the project is on schedule for completion in November of this year. The construction to date includes:
- Water and storm water improvements completed in the 200 block of West Jackson Street.
- Tree root saver system cells installed in the 200 block.
- New sidewalks installed on the north and south sides of the 200 block and the north side of the 300 block.
- Completion of the tabletop intersection at Stevens Street and West Jackson Street.
- Decorative railing installed for the retaining wall on the north side of the 200 block.
- New trees and streetlights installed on the north and south side of the 200 block and the north side of the 300 block.
- Installation of the commemorative wall and decorative wall at the corner of Stevens Street and West Jackson Street.
- Installation of an electric car charging station in the parking lot at the corner of Stevens Street and West Jackson Street.
“This is an exciting project for Thomasville,” said Sherri Nix, Public Outreach Manager. “The streetscape looks fantastic, and it is going to be such an asset to downtown Thomasville. We are also excited that the construction is on schedule for completion in November. We encourage our community to continue to support the business located on West Jackson Street during the remaining construction.”
There will be temporary street closures on West Jackson Street while the work is being completed this weekend. Travelers in the area are encouraged to exercise caution, utilize the posted Lee Street detour, and to be aware of potential traffic delays.
For more information about this project, please call the City of Thomasville’s Engineering Department at 229-227-7009.