Join a Winning Team - Application Procedures for the City of Thomasville
City of Thomasville
111 Victoria Place
Thomasville, GA 31799
24-hour job line: (229) 227-7019
Fax: (229) 227-3332
The City of Thomasville seeks to engage, attract and retain the best workforce in south Georgia to serve our residents, visitors and community. We have a workforce of approximately 450 employees in more than 20 departments and service areas that deliver exceptional customer service through a wide range of public and community endeavors. We offer competitive salaries, benefits, employee incentives and growth opportunities.
Step 1 – When Do Jobs Become Available?
When a vacancy occurs, the City Manager must give approval to hire before a recruitment process begins. After the City Manager’s approval, jobs will generally be advertised to internal staff before being open to the public. After an initial review by HR, hiring supervisors will review applications and select candidates to interview. You may not apply for a job that is not listed on the open job list.
Step 2 – How Do I Apply for a Job?
Check to see which positions are currently open by reviewing our available job openings. ALL positions require online applications unless stated otherwise. For example, applicants for police officers and firefighters will submit written applications to HR. Candidates for these jobs must review the job announcements and pay special attention to the minimum requirements and the application instructions on the position announcement. These two areas will tell you exactly what qualifications are required and how the evaluation process works. You may upload a copy of your resume and cover letter if you wish.
Step 3 - Wait for Notification from Human Resources
Human Resources will review all applications to determine if the minimum qualifications for the position are met based on what the applicant submits. If an applicant is selected for an interview, Human Resources will make contact with the applicant to schedule an interview with the hiring department. Typically, no other notices will be sent to applicants until a candidate is selected for a job and the job opening is closed.
Step 4 – What if the Job I Want isn’t Available?
Use "Notify Me" to get email alerts about new job openings. If you don't see the job you're interested in, please click on "Notify Me" after you enter HR's online application portal. When you register for "Notify Me," you will be sent an email when a job is open in your area of interest.
Important Notes for Job Applicants
- Applicants should take appropriate measures to ensure that completed applications for job openings are received online by the published closing date.
- When you apply for a position, you must submit proof of high school graduation or GED and two forms of ID (i.e., driver’s license, social security card, and passport). APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT ORIGINAL OR CERTIFIED COPIES OF THESE DOCUMENTS.
- Applications received after the closing date for a position may not be considered.
- When multiple jobs are open, candidates for employment may only apply for one job at a time. The HR staff will help job candidates select the vacancy that suits the applicant’s interests and qualifications.
- Job candidates must not contact the department where the vacancy exists. HR provides support to departments and job applicants throughout the hiring process.
- Candidates for all City positions must pass a pre-employment drug test prior to employment.
If you require assistance at any stage of the application process due to a disability, please contact Human Resources so that accommodations may be made to meet your needs. You may reach us at (229) 227-7001.
The City of Thomasville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran's status or national origin, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. The City of Thomasville does thorough pre-employment checks that may include previous employment references, criminal history check, education verification, and drug testing.